Monday, October 29, 2007

Bad Attitude!!

Two things I really hate while having a conversation: The first when someone who abruptly interrupt someone else. I was with a number of people in a meeting at work to discuss urgent issues. During the discussion someone asked me a question. I started giving the answer and before finishing the first sentence some idiot I don't know who or what was his position interrupted me very loudly saying that he has a different opinion. The person who asked first addressed the question for a second time to me and the same thing happenned again, that same brickhead interrupted me and started giving his own nonsense contrasting point of view... without even listening to what I was saying. For the third time, I have been asked the same question. This time I couldn't take it anymore. I exploded! I told them "how do you expect me to give an answer, or to discuss any issue while there is someone here keep on interrupting me? what worse that I am not able to finish one sentence!! I believe that some here do not want to hear the answer, therefore I believe the discussion on the matter related to this question must be discussed on another time." and I left the meeting.


The second thing that makes me start boiling from anger is when suddenly someone you are engaged with in a conversation stops responding without any further notice! One of the methods used at work for communication among colleagues and different levels within the organization is to use messaging tools - something similar to MSN messanger. I talk and work with many people from different countries, and some of them I don't even know what they look like. So the concept of reading facial expressions does not apply here. There comes that that guy out of the blue and send me a message with a question or a request for something to do related to work. I give the answer and ask him to verify that everything is working and that the answer provided some sort of solution or at least explanation to what he was wondering about, and there you go... no reply. I give one minute, two minutes and I send another message asking for status or feedback... again nothing. Couple of days ago happened twice! I kept on sending messages asking where he is until he replied and then it was like I caught him with my bare hands from his neck. I asked him why is he not answering? he didn't give me clear answer, because of that I gave him a very good lesson in good manners and how it is not polite to just ignore the other...

1 comment:

Chelsea + Shiloh said...

I can relate to your frustration, especially with work colleagues. I think it is because some people like to hear themselves talk, have no concept of listening and really dont want to hear your answer. I have a staff meeting today that Im dreading...as there are to many like that. I think walking out at times is the only thing left to do...at least then they may think about their behaviour...

Its no excuse for your 'messenger' colleauge...but i often find msn etc it is easy to have misunderstandings due to the fact you mention that I cant read facial language. Its also why i dont use phones often...

My opinion of that situation you outlined is that he is just rude & next time he asks for help and it is not forth coming from you may make him think